If you have taken a look at my Instagram, it's no secret that I am a HUGE salad fan! Packed with vegetables and other delicious goodies, salads can be a nutritional powerhouse. I try to make one salad a day for myself to enjoy at either lunch or dinner; I find that salads really fill me up and keep me satisfied for the day.
Everyone knows how to make a classic green salad, but I see salads as a blank slate for us to get super creative with. Salads can be a great option when going out to eat, but just be mindful of the toppings. Don't be afraid to omit or ask for certain items on the side!
So here we go!
1. Pick Your Greens: Start with a nice bed of greens to create the bulk in your salad. You can choose one, or try a combination of a few!
Raw Broccoli Slaw
2. Add 2+ Vegetables: Don't just stick with the same old cucumber and tomato! Get creative and explore different vegetables.
Red & Green Pepper
3. Add 1/2 Serving of Fruit: Don't go overboard on the fruit, but adding half a serving of your favorite fruit can help make your salad more lively and add some juicy flavor! You can also opt to use dried fruit instead, but use half a serving of that as well.
4. Add Your Protein: Think lean protein, like chicken or turkey breast. Add a serving of protein (about 3.5-4 ounces), and don't cook with too much salt. Your salad will already have so much flavor, no need to overdo it with protein seasoning.
5. Consider Adding A Healthy Fat: If you have an avocado, flax seeds, nuts, or another source of healthy fats, go ahead and add it on! But remember, don't overdo it with portions; a serving should be enough.
6. Toss With Your Dressing: Classic olive oil and vinegar is ideal; if your taste buds need a bit more kick, you can add a teaspoon of dressing, and then a tablespoon of an olive oil and vinegar mixture. If you can make a healthy dressing at home, that is a great option too!