Lemon Water - What's The Deal?
The New Year is upon us, and many of us are looking to tone up and slim down. As I write in many of my posts, every little thing matters when it comes to nutrition. What you put in your body obviously influences your health in a big way, and will certainly influence the way you look.
A great way to kickstart your efforts is to start drinking room temperature or warm water with lemon. Here are some reasons why you should implement this practice:
1. Boost Immunity: It's no secret that lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds during this season. They are also high in potassium, which can help control your blood pressure.
2. Liver Detox: Lemon contains citric acid, which can help maximize enzyme function in the body. This acid can stimulate the liver and help detoxify it.
3. Digestion: Warm water especially stimulates peristalsis, and adding the lemon can also help in flushing you out. Warm water with lemon encourages the liver to produce bile, which is required for digestion.
4. Alkalinity: Lemon is a very alkaline food when digested in the body. This might sound weird, since lemons are very acidic; however, when metabolized, citric acid does not create acidity in the body, but rather contributes to alkalinity. People who maintain a more alkaline diet tend to lose weight faster.
5. Clear Skin: Vitamin C helps deal with blemishes and wrinkles. Lemon water also helps get rid of toxins in your body and keep your skin clear.
*** Too much of anything isn't good. Lemon contains citric acid, which can erode tooth enamel when ingested in excess. This is why I like to take some days of the week and just drink plain warm water instead. If you just squeeze a bit of lemon into your water, it should be fine. Just make sure you're not putting two whole lemons into one cup of water (just one small squeeze is ideal) and you should be good to go :)